2 hardrives of different interfaces allowed to coexist in PC UNIX?

John Kennedy johnk at opel.COM
Wed Aug 29 02:56:21 AEST 1990

In article <637 at slammer.UUCP> todd at slammer.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
-In article <25313.26ce9f6f at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> teoh at uicbert.eecs.uic.edu writes:
->Is it possible to allow 2 different types of hard disks in a pc UNIX
->environment (using 2 different controllers)?
-
-When I installed Interactive Unix 2.2 I attempted to use an ST-506 primary
-controller and an Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller as secondary.  After
-a *day* of re-building kernels and plugging and un-plugging controllers,
-with nary a kernel that would boot, I gave up.  Fortunately, the SCSI
-controller has floppy ports, so I decided to toss the ST-506, two MFM
-drives, and use only the SCSI.
-
-The Interactive documentation states that two different contollers is
-definitely allowed, but clearly I didn't have the magic to make it
-work!

I agree.  The documentation and menus indicate you can set up a primary ST-506
and a secondary SCSI, but what I tried was the opposite:  having an old ST-506
controller and drive available as secondary.  My attempts, too, failed.

Anyone had any luck with this?  Followups to comp.unix.i386.
--
John Kennedy                     johnk at opel.COM
Second Source, Inc.