connor 100MB and aha1540 (sic)

Derek Terveer det at cimcor.mn.org
Tue Aug 21 06:55:08 AEST 1990

A friend of mine is running esix 5.3.2-D and has a connor peripherals 100MB
(cp100) scsi disk that works just fine with with his adaptec aha1540 (note
no 'a' after the 1540!) rev c scsi controller board.  However, he just
purchased a wren IV and with this wren IV installed in the system and just
after esix boots up it returns an error 16 from the aha board, which seems
to indicate that a contol code has been sent either from or to the wren that
the board/drive doesn't understand.  What is confusing to us is that the connor
seems to work flawlessly with this (albeit older) board.  If we swap the
aha1540 for a (newer) aha1542 board, the wren works just fine.

Does anyone know why esix would work correctly with the connor cp100 and the
aha1540 combination but not with the wrenIV/aha1540 combination?  Is it
because esix is programmed specifically for the 1542a board and not the
aha1540?  If that is so, why does it work with the cp100?  Is anyone
successfully using the aha1540 (no 'a') board with esix 5.3.2-D and any
wren drive?  Ideally, we would like to get by with using the aha1540 board
with the wren as the boot drive (i.e., drive 0?) and the cp100 as the /usr/spool
drive.

This matter is complicated by not having the manuals for either the cp100
or the aha1540.
In particular, the cp100 has a set of 7 jumper pins at the base of the drive,
near the power leads, which we suspect are the drive id select, and three
jumpers under the drive labeled "e1", "e2", and "e3".  There is also a two
position jumper (i.e., three pins) labeled "e4", also under the drive.
We don't know the "raison d'etre" for these "e" jumpers -- probably parity
enable, etc...

Please respond by e-mail to "det at cimcor.mn.org" since we will not be receiving
news for the next week or two.

Thanks in advance,

derek

Ps.  On a side note, i have heard rumours that the wrenIII will not always
work properly with the aha1542a -- is this true?
--
temporarily:  			derek at cimcor.MN.ORG
as soon as i get my pc back:	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG