Altos 5000

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Thu Aug 30 00:08:33 AEST 1990

	What we DON'T need here is a spitting contest between the vendors
of Intel UNIX. I currently spend time with SCO's Xenix/386 and ODT products,
and ISC's latest 2.2, and used to administer an Altos 3068. While I haven't
yet spent time with Altos' new line, I was always quite impressed with the
reliability and performance of their old line. They pulled a helluva lot of
performance out of the old Moto 020; we ran whole departments on them.

	As Bart might tell Dick, "Don't have a cow, man!" The Altos, like
others of its ilk, seek to promote integrated solutions, and having both
knowledge and control of hardware and software allows one both to push
performance higher and avoid many potential incompatibilities. Yes, you
pay a price for this, but note how many postings in this group are of the
"I can't seem to get [product x] to work properly with [product y]"
variety. There's a place in this world for integrated solutions, as
there is for unbundled hardware and shrink-wrap software.