Unix/World (was: Re: Altos 5000)

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Sat Aug 25 09:34:17 AEST 1990

In article <5436 at lgnp1.LS.COM> phil at lgnp1.LS.COM (Phil Eschallier) writes:
>	wasn't the arpanet done away with ??
>	it wouldn't make much sense to review a non-exsistant entity!!

The article was talking about how all this wonderful communication
capability is migrating from the DOS world to the UNIX world.  The common
complaint is saying that DOS BBS' blazed the way ignores the real history.
Not have UNIX users been communicating electronically for decades, the
ARPAnet is one of the significant milestones in this history.

The irony I find in this issue is that a good deal of the attaction of
DOS peecees was to break the iron fist of MIS and let you control the
destiny of your own computing resources.  Yet, communications in the
DOS world tend to be a more centralized implimentation than you generally
see in the UNIX world.

--
Chip Rosenthal  <chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM>
Unicom Systems Development, 512-482-8260