Problem with 60 Mb Streamer under interactive

Craig W. Shaver cws at janus.Quotron.com
Wed Aug 22 06:38:04 AEST 1990

In article <129 at guug.guug.de>, mcl at guug.guug.de writes:
> Hi everybody.
>
> We are having trouble with an 1/4" 60 MB calipher streamer drive on an
> standard PC runnig interactive IX.
> The drive is connected to an everex controller (830 / 833)
> We are using /dev/wt as device driver.
>
> The trouble we are having is:
> We can't read any foreign (ie. not on our machine produced) tapes.
> We can tar and untar locally and on my sun I can untar the stuff which was
> tared on the Unix PC. But the other way round does not work.

I have had a similar problem with the same tape setup.  Under esix the
tapes produced could not be read by a Sun and tapes that were good before
put garbage into some of the files as they were extracted from the tape.

I have a hunch that the problem is with the bus speed and the qic02/24
controller.  I will be testing this sometime soon by putting the tape
into a slower 286 box (6mhz).  I will post results at that time.

	Craig W. Shaver

Quotron Systems Inc.    | Phone: (213) 302-4247
5454 Beethoven Street   | uucp: trwrb!scgvaxd!janus!cws
Post Office Box 66914	| craig at tradr2.quotron.com
Los Angeles, CA 90066   |