Western Digital 16550s under UNIX?

John Temples john at jwt.UUCP
Fri Aug 17 03:36:03 AEST 1990

I just received three 16550 UARTs from JDR Microdevices.  These were
made by Western Digital (part number WD16C550-PL) rather than by
National Semiconductor.  JDR says they talked to WD, who claimed they
were "pin for pin compatible" with the NS part.  I seem to recall a
comment in this newsgroup about compatibility problems with the WD
part.  Does anyone know if I can expect problems using these chips
under ESIX?
--
John W. Temples -- john at jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)