ISC 386/ix 2.0.2 with TCP/IP & NFS crashes absolutely ALL THE TIME!

The Imaginative Moron aka Joey Pheromone paul at dialogic.com
Wed Aug 15 05:15:30 AEST 1990

In article <279 at prosun.first.gmd.de> tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) writes:
>RFS (AT&T's Remote File System) included with ISC? Shouldn't it
>actually perform a lot faster than the state-less design of NFS?
>
>Any suggestions welcome!

Yes,there is RFS. We run ISC 2.0.2 and a whole network of 386's using
RFS. It works fine with host-based and Interlan NP600 based TCP/IP. It
does give true unix file semantics. It doesn't crash. There are some
problems with advertising resources from a host-based TCP machine but
our server uses the interlan NP600 and drivers, so it's OK. It's not
perfect, but you can get real work out of it - we have all GNU emacs
stuff on a advertised FS, with only the binary locally. It works great.

There's only one problem. ISC have stopped supplying it. Starting with
the 2.2 release. Yes, that's it. Gone. Zilch. Moribund. Instead, we
are left with that wonderous piece of software known as ISC NFS ....

You can imagine how pleased we are :-) (VERY heavy :-)
--
Paul Bennett	      |  			| "I give in, to sin, because
Dialogic Corp.	      |   paul at dialogic.com	|  You have to make this life