Lotus for sysV (multi-user?)

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Fri Aug 17 22:32:23 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug16.161501.18554 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:
>Lotus is advertising a system V version.  I called and was told that it's
>available now; list prices around $950 single-user, and $1100 for up to 10
>users.  A clear example of pricing to reflect "value" rather than cost; but
>how do you suppose they limit the number of simultaneous users?

We did it with lock files, but the locking scheme isn't particularly hard to
subvert.

There is no copy-protection on 1-2-3, and the user counting code isn't there
to force you to do anything, it's there to help system administrators comply
with the terms of whatever version they have bought.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!esegue!johnl