Help pick best pieces for unix engineering workstation

Joseph Garvey garvey at netcom.UUCP
Thu Aug 30 09:24:25 AEST 1990

I'm configuring a high end 486 PC for use as a UNIX engineering workstation.
This is the first time I've tried doing this for a PC. (I've done unix
mini-computers.) The process is quite different, and I'm soliciting comments
on it.

I'm hoping that some of the 386/486 Unix sys admins will take some time to
reply. Once you get me jump started, I should be able to go on my own. I should
also end up as a regular contributor to this group(s). If you've read
comp.sys.hp, you probably know me.

What I want:
o 486-25, 8-ISA slots minimum, EISA is better (I think). No MCA.
  I've got a chassis, and power supply selected. Number of drive slots is a
  big issue. This has 5 full height slots. Where can I get a good motherboard,
  or do I have to buy a minimum system and strip the motherboard out?
o SCO Unix 2.3.2
o 4167 FPU (will SCO Unix 2.3.2 work with this???, gcc???, g++???)
o Exabyte tape backup (SCSI), do I need a special driver???
o Adaptec SCSI controller (which one?), EDN ran an article on the IN-2000
  which didn't use 1st party DMA, but the author used an Adaptec board
  to format the drives. Can you use the IN-2000 from the beginning???
o 2 HP 660 MB scsi drives
o 16 MB RAM, I've heard cache (esp large cache) has a significant improvement
  on unix performance. There may be a day I need more than 16 MB. I would
  prefer not to use a slot for memory (or more memory), so a higher onboard
  RAM capability for the motherboard would be nice.
o LAN capability, NFS (client/server), TCP/IP, ARPA tools
o X11
o 1280x1024 color (at least under X11). I'm really stumped here. NEC 5D monitor
  looks good... but what video board. HP sells a nice TIGA/DGIS board, but
  does SCO work with it???
o Serial port board, 8-ports (or more). Hardware/Software handshaking
  required. Totally lost here.
o UPS. Open to suggestions. I don't need anything more than the ability to
  shut the system down from full load. Though remote start might be nice.
  Depending on the electric bill, I may leave it on all the time.
o Printing will be a LJIII, 4 MB ram, HP postscript cartridge. I have decided
  some things. :-)

I've done a few rough calculations of the cost. I know what I'm letting myself
in for. Some people buy sports cars with their $$$, I buy fast computers. :-)

One of the ways I can save a few bucks (sales tax is 7.5% so few is probably
the wrong adjective) is to buy from out of state. Can you help me out with
out of state mail-order houses? Dealers welcome.

--

Joe Garvey                    Usenet: netcom!garvey
408-241-6674 (California)   Internet: garvey%netcom at apple.com