NFS vs. PC Interface w/ SCO ODT...

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Fri Aug 17 03:16:29 AEST 1990

In article <568 at bohra.cpg.oz> als at bohra.cpg.oz (Anthony Shipman) writes:
>In article <26576 at usc.edu> rpinder at phad.hsc.usc.edu (Rich Pinder) writes:
>>I am considering purchasing the SCO Open Desktop with Server upgrade. Can
>>anyone help me understand the differences between the NFS Server, and the
>>PC-Interface. [...] and which would require less ram usage on the pc?
>
>An, if not the, advantage of PC-I is the remote printing. It will redirect
>from LPT: to a spooler on the UNIX server.

PC-NFS does the same thing.  It will hijack output from any of the PC's
logical printer ports and send it to whichever server is running the pcnfs
daemon.  When printing is done, as determined by the program exiting,
timeout, and/or hot key, the daemon runs "lpr" to pass the print job to
the print spooler.

There are reasons to dislike PC-NFS (size, funky file naming, copy
protection) but printing is definitely not one of them.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!esegue!johnl