Disk error question

Marco S Hyman marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us
Wed Aug 29 14:01:42 AEST 1990

Thanks to Larry and all the others who offered help via email.  I do not
know the cause of the problem but am suspicious of heat -- it's hot in this
room and adding the second drive didn't help matters there.

To solve the problem I booted from a DOS diskette, went into debug, and then
jumped to the format/scan section of the Adaptec BIOS (dc00:6 if I recall
correctly).  Doing a scan/verify found recoverable errors that the BIOS
re-mapped to a different sector.  I continued the scans until no errors were
found three scans in a row.  This took about 10 scans on one disk and 20 on
the other.  Most scans found 2-5 bad sectors.

The only hard part is finding what files were destroyed in the remapping so
I could restore them from backups.  I'll probably be finding them for a few
more weeks.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

// marc
// marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us
// {ames,decwrl,sun}!pacbell!dumbcat!marc