KSH recommendations?

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Thu Aug 9 05:08:43 AEST 1990

In article <LARRY.90Aug7135159 at focsys.uucp>
    larry at focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:
>I'd like to purchase a copy of the korn shell for ISC's Unix 2.2.  I am aware
>that MKS sells a version of the korn shell in their Trilogy package for about
>$120.00. [...] I've heard that a company called Aspen sells one too, but I've
>heard a lot of very negative comments [...]

I have had horrid dealings with Aspen.  If I need to bring up additional
ksh's, I will not be going back to them.  I would probably look at:

  1)  Get it from MKS.  Unlike Aspen, I've had wonderful dealings with them.
  2)  Look at some free alternatives, like bash.
  3)  Buying ksh thru the AT&T Toolchest.

As an aside, SCO is shipping ksh with the just released 3.2.2.  (No word
yet on how good it is.  I've got ODT here, and my first 3.2.2 install
should be next week.)  It would be nice if ISC follows suit.

One question I'd ask when looking for shells is to ask whether it supports
job control.  Aspen doesn't.  SCO UNIX's does, I'm told.  Dunno about MKS.
--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean