ISC 2.0.2: "PANIC athd_recvdata: LOGIC ERROR missing MEMBREAK"

Raymond Nijssen raymond at ele.tue.nl
Thu Aug 30 12:07:16 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug27.161420.11723 at ico.isc.com> dougp at ico.ISC.COM (Doug Pintar) writes:
>In article <483 at comcon.UUCP> tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>>The WD1006SVR2 has a known history of locking up with ISC.  Something
>>to do with the card
  [..... details deleted .....]
>>THe only fix I know of is to get another controller.
>The WD series of controllers had been able to do this since the 1001, 'way back
>when.  Somehow it got broken in some revs of the 1006.
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ha! Now I'm getting really curious! Tell more! Which revs for instance, and
how can they be identified? And do you mean that other revs are ok?

For instance, I have a WD1006V-SR2 controller here which locks up with ISC.
On top of the largest chip on the card it says in caps: PROTO
Should I interpret this as it being just a prototype chip, which would
presumably be quite unstable and full of bugs? My vendor told me that he had
never seen such controllers without this 'remark', but now he says he is
trying to get one for me without it. Is it likely that he'll succeed in this?
To be complete, I'll copy the whole text on the chip:
          (c) WDC'87
          WD42C22A-JU
          10-2 8836                    <- it's made in the 36th week of 1988
          668721105
          PROTO
and on a small label, it says: WD1006V-SR2 F002 X8   (The X8 might be another
revision/generation mark)

What I would like to know is if there are people running ISC with an 1006 RLL
controller which does not lock up, and what it says on their controller.
Maybe someone from WD might comment on this, anyway, I'll post a summary
of the reactions I hope to get.