"vpix -c blah" broken when run under X

Bruce M Ong DeadHead at cup.portal.com
Thu Aug 23 15:25:04 AEST 1990

here is a pretty weird problem with vpix when it is run under Xwindows...

When you execute vpix with "vpix -c blah blah blah" normally it will
boot vpix from your unix side, execute something without the vpix sign-on
message on top of the screen, and then return back to your unix prompt.

However, when you execute vpix with "vpix -c blah blah blah" under X windows -
with any manager, or even without a window manager - you will see the vpix
sign-on message (the copyright, etc.) and when it finishes executing the
command, it will pause with [Press return to continue] message at the
bottom of the window. And - here is the kicker - it will not return back to
your unix prompt until you press return.

This happens under ISC2.0.2, with whatever the vpix release that comes with
ISC2.0.2, and ISC X1.1R3, version 1.1.

I am running a shell script in batch mode that calls the "vpix -c cmd ... "
as a subroutine. The shell script is in-turn something that runs under X. I
cant have this annoying prompt stopping my processing because the stuff is
supposed to be run un-attended.

Does anybody know how I can patch this problem?  I am not hopeful that
they have actually fixed this one - because it is pretty obscure. I wonder
if there is something I can do to the vpix.img (it is in vpix.img - i checked
this with the "string" utility), like writing nop's to the instructions, etc.,
to get rid of it? Is there any other way to fix this without open-heart
surgery?

thanks for any hints ---

bruce
deadhead at cup.portal.com