Does Microport offer Updates to its users?

Randall L. Smith randy at rls.UUCP
Thu Aug 30 14:28:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug28.014027.969 at mccc.uucp>, pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> In article <152 at grumbly.UUCP> root at grumbly.UUCP (rb duc) writes:

Actually, I write the => part... but no matter...

> =>Microport will not be offering v3.2, just v4.0 late this year, or IMHO,
> =>possibly early next year.  But that's it.
> =
> =Microport is shipping v4.0 *right now* and has been for *over a month*.  I
> =wouldn't count out a v3.2 either.

Well, sorta.  Microport is offering the straight poop developers systems
with *no* enhancements from AT&T.  It's just like some other Intel Unix
vendors 4.0's right now.  The package release is designed to give 4.0 Unix
to those that absolutely, positively hafta have it now.  Joe User, like
myself, would not be pleased with this bare bones release.

> But what Microport *hasn't* done is to contact owners of 3.0e and offer
> an inexpensive upgrade to 4.0 (or even to 3.2!).  Basically, they've
> just ignored us.

As I said, there will be no 3.2 from Microport.  Now they are projecting
the normal 4.0 full featured release sometime in the late fall.  I already
placed my order today.  (its about time :-)

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy at rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
%CC-I-ANACRONISM, The operator is an obsolete form and may not be portable.