VP/ix for Interactive Unix, VGA problems

Steintor Bjarnason stb at isbank.is
Wed Aug 1 04:14:58 AEST 1990

I have run into some problems when using VP/ix v1.2 with Interactive
Unix v2.2.

Has anyone else had the same problems and been able to get around them ?

1)  When running Windows 3.0 in real mode (win /r) under VP/ix
    then VP/ix crashes with "general protection fault, cannot emulate
    instruction" after it displays the Windows 3.0 logo.

2)  When using the expanded emulators EMS.SYS and PEMM.SYS with VP/ix
    the expanded memory is displayed as being usable when I run
    some public domain memory map programs.
    The problem is that when using EMS.SYS, Windows 286 v2.11 is
    unable to find this extra memory (There is no entry for expanded
    memory in the "About" window).
    When PEMM.SYS is used the extra memory appears in the "About" window
    in Windows v2.11 but Windows is unable to use it (It always displays
    "not enough memory" when I try to run Excel)

I also ran into a very strange problem when I tried to use a "Super"-VGA
card with Interactive.  When I installed Interactive in the beginning I
had some noname-VGA card and everything worked fine (X.11 also).  But
when I installed the new VGA card (EIZO MD-B10, 1024x768 pixels,
512kb display memory) then the following happened when I booted
the computer:

  It displayed "Booting the Unix system" as usual but when it
  was supposed to display the usual "Total mem"..... then the
  screen was cleared and nothing appeared after that.  The system
  came up okay (I used rlogin to log in from a another system) but
  the screen was empty and I had to switch over to my old VGA card.
  The strange thing is that the VGA card works normal when running DOS
  and Windows AND this type of VGA card works on a another Tandon computer
  with a similar setup. (I got a another card from the supplier but
  with the same results)

I tried the usual things, I stripped out all my other expansion cards,
changed every switch and DIP to its default settings but always with
the same results.  Is it possible that Interactive Unix is resetting
the board in some strange way ?

My setup is as follows :

  Tandon 386/33 MHZ with 8MB memory, Adaptec 1542A SCSI adaptor,
  2*220 MB Conner hard disks, 3Com 3C503 Ethernet card (for TCP/IP),
  Novell NE2000 Ethernet card (for Novell), and a 16 inch Eizo 9070
  monitor.

So, if you know of any solutions then please E-mail them to me.

Steinthor Bjarnason       Internet: stb at isbank.is
Islandsbanki h.f.         UUCP:     {mcsun,sunic,uunet}!isgate!isbank.is!stb
Kringlan 7                Phone:    354-1-608000
155 Reykjavik, Iceland    Fax:      354-1-679037