Adaptec AHA-1540/SCO-ODT problems

Ken Seefried iii ken at dali.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 20 08:02:27 AEST 1990

--

I'm having a bit of trouble with a machine that I am trying to bring
SCO-ODT up on, I I thought someone else might have plowed through
this.

The details:

	Zenth 16-MHz 80386 machine (no FP, no cache) Model 300 (I think)
	2 4-MB, 32-bit memory cards
	DTC1010 ST-506 HD/FD controller + 1.2MB floppy
	Adaptec AHA-1540 SCSI controller + CDC 94171-344 Hard drive

The problem:

	I want the SCSI drive to be the root (only) drive.  There is
	no hard drive attached to the DTC1010.  When I power on the
	machine, I get the Adaptec SCSI BIOS banner, at witch point it
	goes looking for devices.  It seems to find the CDC just fine.
	I then proceed to load boot disks N1 and N2.  The initial SCO
	banner correctly shows all devices (including "adapter") and
	proper memory size, etc.  However, when I attempt to
	initialize the disk, the machine hangs, usually, but not
	always with the message "WARNING: aha: spurious interrupt".

	Other notes: I (properly) have configured the machines CMOS
	setup with no hard drives installed.  After the initial power
	on, the hard disk light never again lights.  I am almost
	certain that the card is set with the factory defaults.  I
	have tried the card with jumper J5 both in and out.

Anyone seen this?  Any help greatly appreciated...

	ken seefried iii		ken at dali.gatech.edu

	"Vee haf veyz off making you talk...release da veasles..."