which scsi ctrl to use?

Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin heiser at sud509.ed.ray.com
Tue Aug 7 11:09:40 AEST 1990

I am building a 386 machine to run Unix, and would like to use some
sort of SCSI card to drive SCSI drives (not sure what kind of drive
yet).

I've heard reports that the *ix's are fussy about which drive you use.
Some say the Adaptec 1542B is just fine, others say it is incompatible
with certain hardware.  I think someone mentioned the 1522, but I'm
not sure if that was a Unix person or a DOS person...

What I'd like to find out is which SCSI controller to buy ...  I
obviously need to get one that is compatible with both my hardware
and whatever OS I decide on.  I'm still debating between ESIX, SCO UNIX,
and Interactive UNIX, but ESIX has the edge due to price.  (do each of
these OS's work with different scsi boards, or is there one board that
will work with them all?)

Will any of the controllers work with any scsi drive?

My hardware config is as follows:

80386-DX/25Mhz
Chips chipset
AMI Bios dated 04/09/90
8 Megs of 70ns RAM (1Meg DRAMs)
ATI VGA Wonder w/512K
NEC Multisync II

Any comments, suggestions, etc, would be appreciated.  I hope to select
a unit sometime soon.

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser at tdw201.ed.ray.com
		{decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser
	Home:   Bill.Heiser at f240.n322.z1.fidonet.org (Fidonet 1:322/240)
		The Think_Tank BBS (508)655-3848  1200/2400/9600-HST
	Other:  75106.2332 at compuserve.com
	Other:	heiser at world.std.com     (Public Access Unix)