Esix and RLL?

Larry Foard larry at belch.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Aug 17 15:10:18 AEST 1990

In esix literature I recieved around 2 months ago it indicated that esix does
not support RLL drives, has this problem been corrected in the latest version
of esix? I would really like to be able to stick with the RLL drives I am
currently using, since switching to an ESDI or SCSI drive would cost more
than esix :( If RLL is still not supported is there any way to get around this
problem? (sector remapping controllers, or a PD device driver?)
Are there any other 386 unixs that have features similar to esix but do
support RLL drives.

Other esix questions:
 The literature mentioned BSD sockets are these included with esix
 or are they extra?
 Is RFS anything like NFS? Can you mount pieces of remote file systems?
Slightly related question:
 Is there any public domain or relatively cheap software that will allow
 an MSDOS computer to run telnet and ftp. (If it is PD where can it be
 found)

And for something completely different:
 I noticed an earlier message asking about reasonable pricing for MACH 386.
 I would say at most it should be only slightly more than 386 sys V, but
 realistically unix is currently being kept out of the PC market because
 it generally costs more than the system it is run on. Although Unix is
 tremendously superior to any of the junk coming out of microsoft it is
 losing out to things like windows 3.0 because of the price. Microsoft is
 a billion dollar company not because they make anything worth selling or
 sell it for alots, but because they sell alots of it at low prices.