Disk error question

Marco S Hyman marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us
Mon Aug 20 14:34:33 AEST 1990

Since adding a second SCSI disk to my ISA box, a second Seagate ST-296N,
I've been getting occasional error message like:

*** DEVICE ERROR: Uncorrectable data error in sector ***
*** Controller 0 (Adaptec AHA-1540 SCSI Host Adapter), DISK Drive 1, Absolute Sector # 40205 ***

*** DEVICE ERROR: Uncorrectable data error in sector ***
*** Controller 0 (Adaptec AHA-1540 SCSI Host Adapter), DISK Drive 0, Absolute Sector # 15201 ***

The interesting part is that the errors are on BOTH disks (drive 0 never
gave me any problems before adding drive 1) and that the disks format and
surface scan without error.  I expect this is really a controller problem.
Has anyone on the net seen anything like this before?  (The data read is
usually GOOD!  However, I have had a couple of kernel panics due to this
error).

Note: I am *not* running sync or parity and my AH-1542A is old enough to
have J8, the LA enable jumper.
No Panic

Thanks for any comments.

// marc
// marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us
// {ames,decwrl,sun}!pacbell!dumbcat!marc