Sys V.4 pricing, again; Mach 386

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sun Aug 5 00:09:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug2.181706.6215 at intek01.uucp-> mark at intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
->
->I had an extensive conversation again yesterday with the lady from UHC,
->and it was pretty unsatisfying for both of us.  She offered her product
->at $1995, but didn't grok my desire for a low-cost no-documentation
->kernel-only license.  We do industrial automation, and a lean, clean,
->mean, soft-real-time, multitasking machine is what we need, but we can't
->pay $2000/node for the OS.  Maybe I wasn't communicating clearly, but
->she just was adding up items from the price sheet:  "No, $895 for the
->basic OS and another $895 for TCP/IP networking; that's the best we
->can do."

Just a thought - there is the possibility she was quoting from the wrong
sheet.   I saw a UHC machine running about 2 months ago and couldn't
believe just how fast it was.  Then I found out it was sys V.4 running on
an iNTEL i860.  The box had a 25mHz 486, and the i860, and the 860 was
running (by eyeball timing) about 5 to 7 times faster than the 486 side on
Mandelbrot sets. (This of course was a demo used to make the machine look
good).  Have no more info than that.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP