386/ix VP/ix problems (Wp 5.1, file truncation)

Tom Betz betz at marob.masa.com
Tue Aug 21 19:17:01 AEST 1990

Quoth keith at bain3.oz (Keith Brinck) in <831 at bain3.oz>:
|Here are a couple of VP/ix problems that I've recently come across.  Both
|have been mentioned before in this group, but I don't recall seeing a
|response to either.
|
|1. Installing Word Perfect 5.1 anywhere in the UNIX file system causes the
|   message "wp.fil not found" (or words to that effect) when attempting to
|   run it, despite the fact that wp.fil is correctly situated in the
|   current directory.  On the other hand, this message does not appear
|   (and WP works fine) if WP is installed either onto the native DOS
|   partition or onto C:.  My local ISC supplier says they contacted ISC in
|   the US whose response was "It works fine over here ..." - very satisfying.

If you have some RAM to spare (one or two MB) and an EMS.SYS that
works with your VP/ix, put

device=ems.sys MD Snnn

into your CONFIG.SYS, where nnn is the number of RAM blocks
you want to set up for EMS.  (I have 64 blocks set up, or 1024K;
I believe that you may use up to 2 MB of RAM)

Then get hold of a good EMS RAM disk (I use PC Magazine's
XPANDISK, freeware and very good) and install it in your EMS
space.  (Your VDISK.SYS will probably NOT work for this
purpose...  I know mine didn't.)

Then set up a batch file (or a few lines in your AUTOEXEC.BAT)
that puts the required minimum of files (WP.FIL, WP.SET, WP.DRS,
WP{WP}.SET, WPHELP.FIL, and WPHELP2.FIL for our 5.0 setup) into
the root directory of your RAM disk.  Then set up your WP batch
file to start up WP against the RAM drive, instead of the H: or
Z: or other network drives.  You'll probably also want it to copy
WP{WP}.SET back to wherever you keep it after you leave WP, so
any changes you have made to the configuration during a session
will be kept.  I keep my files in a PKZIP archive, so as to take
up a minimum of disk space.

You'll have to edit your configuration with Shift-F1 so WP can
find the auxiliary files, but unless things have changed horribly
between 5.0 and 5.1, this should work for you.

It's the only way I was able to get 5.0 to work satisfactorily
at all on our XENIX system's VP/ix.

I'll be happy to mail you a uuencoded copy of the XPANDISK RAM
disk.  It's not very large.