Graphic characters in Norton Utilities SYS-V

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Aug 1 06:29:17 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul31.101937.9157 at pcrat.uucp> rick at pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
> In article <T:_47-2 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >The biggest problem with DOS is that it encourages programs to do this
> >sort of thing... and they break on the next generation, or on imperfect
> >clones, or whatever.

> Remember that a pre-condition was that ETI was fully supported, and
> John said it was.  So, there is no chance this application will break.

But it already broke! This whole discussion started because someone's
system was set up slightly differently (in this case an alternate character
set) and it went ahead anyway with the (now) non-working direct screen
writer. Can you guarantee that nobody's extended VGA, or IBM's new XGA
cards, or whatever won't fool it into thinking that it can do direct
screen I/O and have it do something worse than print gibberish?

Obviously not.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`