vga help

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Fri Aug 3 23:56:35 AEST 1990

The Sony 1304 is an excellent monitor.  I an very impressed with
the engineering inside the monitor.  The auto-size / auto-center is
the best of any monitor that I have seen.  One caviat is that the
factory default for the auto-size vertical is 768 lines max.  If
you use 1024*800 VGA mode (such as on the Paradise VGA+/16 and
similar VGA boards based on the WD chip set) you'll want to have a
qualified technican adjust the internal vertical height; otherwise
your screen will be overscanned about 10-15 lines at the bottom of
the screen.

If you don't use 1024*800 that much, the manual-height over-ride
switch that is user-accesible on the left side of the monitor has
more than enough lattitute to adjust the screen.

The 1304 is also an analog-only monitor, but with VGA and 8514
video boards in abundance there is no reason to fret.  I searched
for a long time for a personal monitor, and the 1304 is the only
one that satisfied me for picture clarity, geometry and power
supply regulation.  The 1304 pin-cushions less than any other
monitor as average screen intensity varies.  A good torture test
for monitors is to set up a program that draws a white box that
fills the entire screen then switch to a black box with a 1-pixel
white border.  Switch back-and-forth.  Note if you see any picture
pin-cushion or blooming at the edge of the box as you switch.  The
1304 shows less than 1 mm of movement on this test.

==Bill==
--
Bill Mayhew  Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511