uucp problem

E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc einhorn at hydra.unm.edu
Wed Aug 29 07:50:58 AEST 1990

I am trying to get a news feed set up at work.  We have an office in
Arlington, Va that is trying to set up a news feed from uunet and they
are supposed to feed me.  Unfortuneately the Arlington office is having
severe uucp problems.

They are running UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 from Bell Technologies
(I believe Bell Technologies was gobbled up by Intel).

When a large file is uucp'ed onto their system everything goes fine for
the first few kbytes of the file then everything shifts to SLOW mode.
I believe the scheduler on their machine is starving the uucico process
for cpu time.

I tried to transfer a test file onto their system.  During the first
few seconds the lights on my modem blinked normally.  (We have Telebit
T2500s on each end.  I believe they are correctly configured).  After a
few seconds the RD and SD lights go dark.  I can see my machine
periodically time out and retransmit.  Every once in a while their
machine wakes up and a few packets are exchanged.

I suggested the system administrator in arlington to try manually
executing uucio with nice boosting the priority.  Didn't seem to make
any difference we saw the same behavior on my modem lights.

When they uucp a file onto my system the file transfer goes at a reasonable
rate which seems to confirm my belief that the modems are correctly
configured.  My machine talks to other machines successfully.

Any suggestions?
 einhorn at hydra.unm.edu