Altos 5000

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver
Sat Aug 25 11:42:13 AEST 1990

>From article <3854 at altos86.Altos.COM>, by ti at altos86.Altos.COM (Ti Kan):
> In article <1990Aug22.171700.23382 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>>ti at altos86.Altos.COM (Ti Kan) responds to a flame-ette from Foulk about the
>>> with a "standard" SCO driver can support such a requirement?...

> designed to run on some "generic" PC hardware.  Moreover, companies
> like SCO and Interactive can't possibly provide the kind of software
> reliability that we could, given that we has so finely-tuned our
> software specifically for our hardware platform.

  Oh brother now I have heard it all. Now lets hear some detailed facts on
how Altos fined tune there hardware software that makes it more reliable
than ISC's or SCO's UNIX (includeing the third party vendors).

> performance tuning, We exhaustively test our software on our hardware
> platform, and fixed many, many bugs that exists on other 386 UNIX
> implementations.  A vanilla SCO UNIX release and an XYZ PC combination
> would never pass our strict QA standards.

  FACTS

> The fact that SCO UNIX-compatible device drivers and application
> can drop-in shrink wrapped, and other PC-class expansion boards
> can plug-n-play in an Altos 5000 is simply bonus that you don't
> get with proprietary hardware/software vendors like Sun, Pyramid,
> DEC, etc.

 But if they don't pass your strict QA standards what good are they?

> Again, the original point of the discussion was the question why
> one would choose a box like the Altos 5000 with standard EISA bus
> and 486 CPU, but with special expansion I/O cards and special UNIX
> release, over a generic PC with SCO or Interactive UNIX.  I think
> I have made my argument pretty clear.

 And your ego!

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda at fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400