Wildcards don't work on NFS mounted file system

William J. Earl wje at redwood.mips.com
Wed Aug 8 09:53:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug03.030326.9796 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <LARRY.90Aug2091559 at focsys.uucp> larry at focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:
> >Users logged in on a 386/ix system that has mounted a file system from
> >a MIPS fileserver cannot use wild cards in any of the directories that
> >are on the MIPS file system.
>
> This is a symptom of the program that you are using that is performing
> the wild card substitution is not NFS cognizant.  Wild card substitution
> routines (like the old glob routine) must use directory reading
> routines that know about NFS because you can't open a directory for
> reading across NFS.
>
> What program are you running when it fails?  I would hope that it is not
> the standard ISC shell.  If I remember correctly, this works fine under
> ISC's sh.
>
> >I expect that this is a 386/ix bug because it is on the 386/ix machine
> >that the wild card expansion is taking place.
>
> This is a bug within the particular program (in this case running on you
> 386/ix machine), not in the OS itself.

      At an NFS Connectathon (where NFS interoperability is tested each year),
386 boxes commonly could not do any directory-reading operations (such
as wild-card expansion) to servers other than 386 boxes.  This is due
to many stock AT&T SVR3 applications reading directories as files, instead
of using directory-reading system call (getdents()).  Many, but not all,
manufacturers have corrected these bugs.
	William J. Earl			wje at mips.com
	MIPS Computer Systems		408-524-8172
	930 Arques Avenue
	Sunnyvale, CA 94086