ISC2.02 X & virtual terminals

David Rector drector at orion.oac.uci.edu
Wed Aug 1 13:52:59 AEST 1990

In <32298 at cup.portal.com> DeadHead at cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:

>It is my understanding that you can run a virtual terminal and X at the
>same time under ISC. But after I have my X windows up, if I flip to another
>virtual terminal and flip back to my x terminal, i get "xterm broken pipe"
>"connection to x server lost."

>I went through all the mannual pages and docs trying to figure out where
>it said you could not do that... but I didnt find any.. any ideas?

I had the same trouble.  Try using xdm to start your X-session instead
of xinit.  The X server will come up with a login screen on the first
unused virtual terminal.  If you want X to come up automatically
when you boot (or log off X), put the line

     lcl:23:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon

as the last line of /etc/inittab.  Woe betide you if you leave out the
-nodaemon switch.

David Rector                           drector at orion.oac.uci.edu
Dept. of Math.                         U.C. Irvine, Irvine CA 92717
David L. Rector				drector at orion.oac.uci.edu
Dept. of Math.				U. C. Irvine, Irvine CA 92717