Copying DOS files to SCO UNIX

Stephen Wong smwong at hantsu.enet.dec.com
Fri Aug 24 14:24:52 AEST 1990

In article <10558 at uswat.UUCP>, chuck at uswat.UUCP (Chuck Luciano) writes:
|> I will be bringing up SCO UNIX on my 386sx at home as soon as the %^&#*#&
|> vendor gets it to me, and I have a couple of basic questions:
|>
|>      Can I copy files from DOS diskettes to unix? This is how I plan to
|>    get gnu software to the machine.

Yes, you can user doscp command to copy MS-DOS files to/from Unix file system.

|>      Is VPIX worth the $$$.

DOS-merge is generally better than VPIX, no flame please!!

|>      Can I still boot DOS without a boot floppy?

Yes, when your hard disk boots, type DOS at the prompt will get you to MS-DOS
partition on hard disk.

|>      How much disk space will I really need for UNIX/Dev kit.

100MB in my opinion is minimum for serious development project.

|>      I am running a 16mhz 386sx with two seagate 42mb drives (1-38ms,
|>    & 1-28ms).
|>
|>      This is not specifically a UNIX ? but I'll ask anyway. I have been
|>    told that an IDE drive connects to a mfm controller. Is this true?
|>
|>      Can I run IDE and MFM together?

If you can set your MFM controller to use secondary I/O port, int 15 and disable
its on-board floppy controller if any, then you can run IDE host adapter and MFM
controller together.

|>      Will SCO UNIX support a mountain filesafe qic-40 type tape drive?

SCO UNIX supports QIC-40 compatible floppy controller type tape drive.

|>      What is the general opinion on SCO vs all the others? (No net.wars
|>    please!) Please keep in mind that I got SCO at a pretty low price.

I don't want to get in any war, no answer sorry!

|> Chuck Luciano
|> On contract at U.S. West Advanced Technologies
|> 303-921-9113

I'm not speaking for SCO anyway.

stephen at hantsq.enet.dec.com