6386 Performance

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.UUCP
Sun Aug 12 16:19:43 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug11.193437.7651 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

Hiya Pete...

>1)  I ordered an "unlimited" version of UNIX SVR3.2.2 for my 6386E/33,
>but I fin dthat the system thinks it's running "16 user."  Has there
>been an error or is 16 users as many as I can have?  And, for that
>matter, how are users counted?  (Logins are obvious, but if someone's
>got a file transfer running from uucico, does he count?)

Did you install the Unlimited User Upgrade package?  If you order the
unlimited, the Foundation Set still comes as a 16 user system, but
you get the Unlimited User upgrade as a separately installable package.
Run "displaypkg" if you're not sure.

>2)  I have 4 MB of RAM.  For a constant number of users, will performce
>be improved if I add more RAM?

It sure can't hurt.  With SIMMs down to $70 or so, moving from 4MB to
8MB is relatively cheap.  To go beyond that, you have to buy the 4/16MB
expansion board (lists for around $2500).  If you fill out SIMMs 5-8 on
the motherboard, be sure to move the appropriate jumper.  It's in the
manual.  (Note that the memory board in the manual is WRONG, and that
the memory diagnostics go bogus if you have more than 16MB on a Cascade
series machine [6386E/25, 33, or 6386/SX]).

--
Alan Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.          "We're homeward bound
aland at informix.com  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland   ('tis a damn fine sound!)