ESIX- Additional Serial Ports?

-Jeff Ellis jde at everex.UUCP
Thu Aug 9 01:52:25 AEST 1990

In article <569 at eds1.UUCP> jdm1 at eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) writes:

>Could someone with proper ESIX documentation (or inside information)
>tell me whether COM3 COM4 strappable serial ports can be used with
>ESIX?  The mouse on COM1 is a pain, and I would really like to add
>some more serial I/O, without going to the expense of a digiboard (yet).

You can have up to 32 dumb ports but unless the hardware has a interrupt
vector to show which port did the request, each port must HAVE ITS OWN IRQ
You can use the initasy script to do the setup for you.
You can get an AST 4 port board that will put all four ports on one IRQ,
there are also clones of this product. BTW if you have Rev D of ESIX it will
make use of the 16550 FIFO chip if you have it.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705