ULIMIT

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Mon Aug 27 05:25:16 AEST 1990

In article <941 at helens.Stanford.EDU> yergeau at EE-CF.Stanford.EDU (Daniel W. Yergeau) writes:
>How do you increase the ULIMIT parameter?  I have tried changing the values
>in the mtune file in the configuration directory and rebuilding the kernel,
>but this didn't seem to have any effect (yes, I rebooted after rebuilding the
>kernel).

In ISC UNIX, you can just add the following line:

ULIMIT=nnnnn

to the file /etc/default/login.  Set 'nnnnn' to whatever number strikes
your fancy, I use 32767.  A more permanent solution is to use idtune(1M)
to set the kernel tunable ULIMIT to a particular value.  idtune resides
in /etc/conf/bin, probably not in your path.  Use the -f option to idtune
to override the minimum or maximum allowable value for the parameter, as
shown in /etc/conf/cf.d/mtune (see mtune(4) for format info).  An example:

idtune -f ULIMIT 32767

will add or change the ULIMIT tunable in /etc/conf/cf.d/stune (see stune(4)).
If you want to just put the parameter in yourself, you can edit stune by hand
with vi.  After making your change to stune via idtune or vi you will need
to rebuild your kernel.  You can do this with kconfig(1), or with idbuild(1M)
for the courageous ;^).

Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art