mkfs and disk performance

Derek Terveer det at cimcor.mn.org
Tue Aug 21 15:06:38 AEST 1990

> I suspect the problem is that I used default values for "gap blocks/cyl"
> parameters. Does anyone have suggestions on how to choose proper values
> for gap & blks/cyl.
>
> My system has a 140meg scsi disk/adaptec1452 cont; the default values are
> gap=9 blks/cyl=400; Esix V.3.2 Unix OS - and I've called Esix tech support

I believe that he gap is the interleave on your drive.  Probably 1:1?  In the 1:1
case the gap would be 1.  For 2:1 interleave the gap is 2.

For the blks/cyl, simply take the total number of blocks on the drive and divide
by the number of cylinders.

For example, say your 140MB drive has 1208 cylinders, then without knowing the
exact number of blocks, I can guestimate that the blks/cyl would be
approximately:

			140 MB  *  2048 blks  *    1