Larger than usual computer cases

Frank I. Reiter frank at rsoft.bc.ca
Thu Aug 30 02:58:23 AEST 1990

With dual controller support making it possible to run four or more drives
on a 386 system, and with ever faster computers making disk access more
and more likely to be a system's bottleneck, the temptation to run >2 drives
is ever increasing.

While it is possible to mount hard drives outside of the main computer case
I'd much rather not.  Can anyone point me to a source for tower cases that
have more than 6 half height drive bays?  !RSoft is currently full with 2
full height hard drives and 2 floppy drives.  I've only found one source so
far but they were uncooperative to the point of refusing to give me the
dimensions of the case (too much work to measure one!) - I'll not be dealing
with them.

Should one also be looking for a larger power supply for a system like this?
What size power supply should one use for (as an example) a high end 386
with 4 full height drives, two HD controllers, 16 megs of RAM, and a usual
assortment of tape drive controllers, multiport cards, display adaptor, etc?

Please reply by mail - I'll summarize if there are requests to do so.
Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and opinions.