Ethernet panics machines

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at icjapan.info.com
Sat Aug 4 19:26:26 AEST 1990

In our San Diego office, we are trying for the first time to network
some machines together and not having much luck.

Until we actually hook up the Ethernet cable between machines,
everything is fine.  And even after the cable is attached we can ping
from a machine to itself for example.

But once we try to rlogin or ping, the target machine 'panic's.
One of the machines will panic without even trying to send it anything
across the cable.

Does this sound like a problem with the cable, or is there some aspect
of configuration we might be missing?  I am told they have checked for
interrupt conflicts.

The machine is a AT&T 6386E (Olivetti M380/XP-5) running Interactive
2.0.2 with their TCP/IP v1.2 and a WD EtherCard Plus.  The machines
run fine in all other respects.  They are running voice mail-type
applications using Dialogic's v1.0 Unix Voice Driver with six Dialogic
D/40B cards.

Thanks for any help.
--
Jim Gottlieb 					Info Connections, Tokyo, Japan
    <jimmy at pic.ucla.edu> or <jimmy at denwa.info.com> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>