386/ix VP/ix problems (Wp 5.1, file truncation)

Keith Brinck keith at bain3.oz
Tue Aug 21 11:41:04 AEST 1990

Here are a couple of VP/ix problems that I've recently come across.  Both
have been mentioned before in this group, but I don't recall seeing a
response to either.

1. Installing Word Perfect 5.1 anywhere in the UNIX file system causes the
   message "wp.fil not found" (or words to that effect) when attempting to
   run it, despite the fact that wp.fil is correctly situated in the
   current directory.  On the other hand, this message does not appear
   (and WP works fine) if WP is installed either onto the native DOS
   partition or onto C:.  My local ISC supplier says they contacted ISC in
   the US whose response was "It works fine over here ..." - very satisfying.

2. When using MKS vi to edit a file under VP/ix, if the file is decreased
   in size it is not truncated correctly - there is extra garbage at the
   end of the file.  I've seen references to similar behaviour using JOVE.

Does anyone know if there is anyway around either of these problems, or if
one or both are fixed in 2.2.  Currently I'm at 2.0.2 and am not in a
hurry to upgrade (the price in Australia for the upgrade is $A1395.00 -
Application developer, 1-2 users), but fixes to these problems might help me
change my mind.
Keith Brinck					e-mail: keith at bain3.oz.au
Bain Capital Markets Ltd
225 George St, Sydney 2000, Australia.