news,rn,etc compile on esix ?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Wed Aug 15 03:59:03 AEST 1990

In article <2075 at sud509.ed.ray.com> heiser at sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) writes:

>Will "news", rn, etc. compile and run properly under Esix
>on a 386/25?
You don't say which news but here is a list of stuff that I have compiled and
running on my Esix 3.2D running on a 386/25:
  C News
  Elm
  Rn
  GNU C
  GNU Make
  Smail 2.5

Plus a ton of other PD stuff.  No problem.

>Also, how does vp/ix work out for running dos apps on
>Esix?
I installed Interactive's VP/ix and it works fine with a few exceptions:
  - When you want to switch virtual screens you have to press Alt-SysRq
    followed by Fx where x is the desired screen - 1.  Currently only
    the left Alt key works but I believe Esix is working on fixing this.

  - The length of the beep is about 4 or 5 seconds.  This can really get
    your nerves.  So far no one has suggested a way to fix this.

Other than that I do all my DOS development in Unix and simply call the
DOS compilers and linkers to create the programs.  I have even modified
GNU Make so that it knows how to create DOS .obj and .exe files.  I find
that it works quite well.

>I want to make sure I don't get myself into another
>"Coherent" type thing here... :-)

Don't worry.  Esix is a "real" Unix.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   MS-DOS:  The Andrew Dice Clay