Multiple tape backups with cpio

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Thu Aug 23 11:01:51 AEST 1990

  There is a program called bundle which I posted to source some time
ago (and a more recent version in the queue) which will handle multiple
volumes on any media, floppy, tape, WORM, etc. It reads stdin and sends
a maximum number of bytes to a device in fixed buffer sizes, then closes
the device and asks for the next media to be mounted.

  Note that some version of restore will not read from stdin and hope
they handle EOD on the volumes. I've never seen one that didn't, though,
the failure is usually in dump on save. bundle is double buffered for
performance, too.

  Many versions of tar and cpio are extended to have the volume size
specified on the command line.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX