ISC 2.0.2: "PANIC athd_recvdata: LOGIC ERROR missing MEMBREAK"

Doug Pintar dougp at ico.isc.com
Tue Aug 28 02:14:20 AEST 1990

In article <483 at comcon.UUCP> tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>The WD1006SVR2 has a known history of locking up with ISC.  Something
>to do with the card being unable to recover from errored seek aheads.
>As I understand it the 1006 does multiple seeks and if one fails it
>*should* go back and do single seeks, which it doesn't do correctly
>thus it locks up.  BTW, ISC *said* they would have a work around in
>the 2.2 kernel.  They don't.  I have seen the same thing with 2.2.
>THe only fix I know of is to get another controller.

Well, this is kinda sorta true.  The HPDD, by default, WILL do overlapped
seeks on multi-drive AT-controller systems.  To pull this stunt off, it counts
on the controller doing retries if a data transfer request gets a 'drive busy'
error when it's still performing a previously-requested seek operation.  The
WD series of controllers had been able to do this since the 1001, 'way back
when.  Somehow it got broken in some revs of the 1006.  The fix, which has
been around as long as the HPDD and *requires* no change in the product, is
to change the file /etc/conf/pack.d/dsk/space.c AFTER configuring the HPDD
for your system.  In the 'disk_config_tbl' entry for either a primary or
secondary AT hard disk is a line that looks like:
	(CCAP_RETRY | CCAP_ERRCOR), /* capabilities */
change this to be:
	(CCAP_RETRY | CCAP_ERRCOR | CCAP_NOSEEK), /* capabilities */
to cripple the overlapped seek stuff.  This should fix the problem if it's
really a multi-drive seek condition that's doing you in.

Good luck,
DLP