SCO supplement xnx155 & monochrome VGA

Ronald Florence ron at mlfarm.uucp
Fri Aug 3 05:53:13 AEST 1990

Some months ago, I reported my frustrating efforts to get SCO to fix
the various problems with the monochrome VGA under Xenix 2.3.2.
Perhaps in response to the lively exchanges the article prompted here,
several individuals at SCO -- "danielg", the Escalation Coordinator;
Jerry Williams, the Eastern Regional Sales Manager; and here on
Usenet, Brian Chapman -- reported by email, phone or in news items
that the Xenix monochrome VGA problems would finally, once and for
all, be fixed.  The fix was promised many weeks ago.

To my temporary delight, I noticed in the documentation to the new
Support Level Supplement xnx155: "All modes of vidi are now
available to computers based on MCA with monochrome monitors." Well,
the various vidi modes do work (they also worked with the interim
patch sent out by SCO seven months ago).  But, the two problems with
monochrome VGA which I reported to SCO one year ago and which they
have repeatedly promised to fix -- the grey scale is not correct
with CGI device drivers on monochrome VGA displays, and the console
is not recognized correctly as a VGA by SCO Pro -- are still not
fixed.

I, and certainly many others, welcome the xnx155 supplement.  We are
still waiting for a proper fix to the monochrome VGA.  Since the patch
has now been promised by both Jerry Williams and Brian Chapman at SCO,
I assume it is on its way, and that those of us who need it will have
it RSN.  Perhaps someone from SCO can clarify just when.

--

Ronald Florence			{yale,uunet}!hsi!mlfarm!ron