ISC 386/ix 2.0.2 with TCP/IP & NFS crashes absolutely ALL THE TIME!

Anthony Shipman als at bohra.cpg.oz
Thu Aug 16 00:32:48 AEST 1990

In article <279 at prosun.first.gmd.de>, tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) writes:
> kind of networking not necessarily NFS. Isn't there a thing called
> RFS (AT&T's Remote File System) included with ISC? Shouldn't it
> actually perform a lot faster than the state-less design of NFS?
> Is anybody actually using it on an [34]86 box with 386/ix?
> What are the trade-offs? Can I run it together with TCP/IP or is
> it actually based on it. Can I do rlogins, telnet and FTP?

I have used RFS on 386/ix 2.0.2 and it seemed to be quite reliable. It requires
STREAMS and you can run it alongside TCP/IP.

The big advantage for me over NFS for homogeneous SysV networks was remote
device access. You can mount another machine's /dev directory and access it's
devices directly. RFS however can only be used between machines running SysV.

I have never used NFS with 386/ix so I can't compare the performance.
Anthony Shipman                               ACSnet: als at bohra.cpg.oz.au
Computer Power Group
9th Flr, 616 St. Kilda Rd.,
St. Kilda, Melbourne, Australia