multi-volume tar

Pim Zandbergen pim at cti-software.nl
Wed Aug 29 21:34:12 AEST 1990

m5 at lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) writes:

>Apparently, Interactive System V (and SCO and AIX) tar on 386 PC machines
>allows multi-diskette tar archives.  I'm looking for information on if and
>how tar marks volumes; is there a special volume header block?

This is a feature SCO added to tar. All Sysv r 3.2 vendors
for the 386 added this in order to be xenix compatible.

I would like to know if anyone added this feature
(-k option to tar) to pax. I really need a program
that will read sco tar made diskettes and put them in a different
directory using pax' -s flag.
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim at cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70           phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands      fax    : +31 70 3512837