< 3 SCSI Drives on ISC 2.02 (problem) >

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.mbx.sub.org
Fri Aug 3 23:25:54 AEST 1990

debra at alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:
>?possible that your supplies are crowbarring.

>There is a potential problem indeed, but what's most important is how
>power hungry the drives are. I don't know about the Quantum but the
>Wren V only needs about 15 Watts (average), while a Seagate 4096 or similar
>drive needs almost twice as much. The Wren V (mine is a 383H, esdi, not scsi)
>is an excellent choice if power is a problem.

the danger is how much the drives need when you power them up. i RTFM'ed
a bit and found out that my 600MB WREN V uses up to 4.5 ampere on startup
(on 12V). well, most 220 watt power supplies can give you 8 ampere on 12V
so if you connect two of these beast you might get problems.
i also phoned around, and bigger power supplies like 300+ watts are very rare
and *very* expensive. i'll get more info next week, anybody interested?
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume at scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume at netmbx.UUCP           VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93