Tape cartridge hung

john john at argmsd.UUCP
Fri Aug 17 23:58:08 AEST 1990

We recently experienced tape hang problems using Wangtek 150mb
drive on 386 and 486 machines with SCO Unix 3.2.0.

Many of our tape operations required a tape reset command
before attempting to execute say a TAR or CPIO command. If the
system was pretty active you would find that the tape operation
would hang and you would have difficulty in killing the process.

The real bad part about this situation is that we found that
after one of the tape hangs had occurred, the subsequents tape
writes would be CORRUPTED. We found this out the hard way when
trying to restore one of our backups!

The problem has been resolved by installing SCO Unix 3.2.1.

John Lindenberg
Argus Newspapers
Media Systems Development