Elm and SCO Unix using MMDF

Bob Reineri root at raider.mfee.tn.us
Mon Aug 6 13:50:26 AEST 1990

Is anyone out there successfully using the elm 2.3 PL5 mailer with a stock SCO
Unix 3.2.0 (Update A) system ? Perhaps someone could help.

The problem is in sending mail when the program is run by a user other than
root. For root, everything works fine. Other users get the following message,
after hitting the 's' key to send a message (after composition and editing):

    submit:  [Permission denied] Can't create text file to be queued.
    submit:  message submission aborted

I turned on auditing for a moment, and tried the above process. It failed, as
expected, and I then reviewed the audit files with sysadmsh. They revealed that
the failure occurred when submit tried to create a file in the
    /usr/spool/mmdf/lock/home/msg directory. The path all the way down to this
directory is owned by user mmdf, and the mode is 700. Pretty restrictive, bu
the submit program runs SETUID to MMDF ! It shouldn't matter, should it ?
Just for grins, I set the mode to 777 all the way down the path, and it
still failed. For some reason, it can chdir to the directory, (as the audit
file shows) but can't create the message file there.

Any help at all would be appreciated. I'm brand new to MMDF, (having used
smail b4) and want to give the stock system a fighting chance. It seems
configurable enough for my needs, and I dont really need all the power of
smail. If I could solve this one problem....

Oh, BTW, the standard mail and mailx programs work just fine for all users....

Bob
--
* RaiderNet Public Access    *Middle Tenn's Unix Gateway*   Murfreesboro, TN *
* Data:(615)896-8716 896-7905 Voice:(615)849-4390 Mail:PO Box 2371 Zip 37133 *
* Domain: root at raider.MFEE.TN.US UUCP: uunet!mjbtn!raider!root    HAM: AB4SU *
* Shell Accounts, Mail/USENET UUCP Links Available  -- Send Mail for Details *