80486 floating point problems with ISC UNIX 2.0.2

Pim Zandbergen pim at cti-software.nl
Sat Aug 4 03:45:10 AEST 1990

Some time ago, ctisbv turned from an Intel 302 (ISA, 25Mhz '386)
into an Intel 401 (ISA, 25Mhz '486). I just swapped the disks
and turned the new machine on.

Everything has run just fine (and a lot faster too), except
there's this real strange thing with floating point exceptions.

Whenever a floating point exception should be generated,
whether exceptions are caught or not,
the process doing the floating point just hangs.
Every other process continues normally.
When I press <DEL>, the process just dies gracefully.

I first found this out running Steven Pemberton's config
program, which tests compiler and hardware properties.
The same binary runs normally on the '386, but hangs
on the '486 with the same OS.

What gives? Do I have a buggy OS or a buggy '486 chip?
Please follow up to the appropriate newsgroup.
Pim Zandbergen                            domain : pim at cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                           uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70             phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands        fax    : +31 70 3512837