More esix questions

Larry Foard larry at belch.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Aug 30 07:01:01 AEST 1990

I am about to get Esix and have a few questions about it:

Does esix have any kind of generic tape drive support?
I have a colorodo tape drive which only comes with DOS software,
will this work or do I need to find a tape drive maker that supports
unix?

Same question about VGA cards, what kind of super VGA is supported
by esix? Unfortunitly super vga cards come with drivers for everything
except unix. Assuming the device driver is available or could be
created can X windows under esix support 1024X768X256 colors?

Esix is supposed to support the virtual terminals that can be accessed
by doing Alt-Fx, can these coexist with X windows? For example can you
be running a text program on one virtual terminal and then flip into
X windows on another? (Can you run X windows on several at once)

Unless I missed something (very possible) KA9Q for MS DOS only contains
an FTP and telnet server, but doesn't seem to provide the actual telnet
and ftp software needed to connect to a remote machine?

Is there public domain software to make an MSDOS machine into
an X windows terminal?