Tape cartridge hung

Thomas Hoberg tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de
Tue Aug 14 03:54:05 AEST 1990

I have an Archive Viper QIC02 60MB streamer with an Archive controller
that will hang, too, sometimes. I am under the impression though, that
this will only occur when a couple of tape accesses come within a short
time (e.g. rewind, status, cartridge change, rewind, cpio -itvc, *BREAK*,
cpio ivxdmc ....). If I leave it alone for a minute after three operations
or so, it won't hang. Whenever it hangs, there is no way to kill the
offending process: it seems to be blocked on a read in the kernel and
no amount of signalling will wake it up. This is especially nasty when
the offending command was run on the console, because uadmin 2 0, init 0 or
shutdown can only be executed from the console (going single user takes
care of that), still that leaves a file system busy. I have had this
bug consistently with ISC 1.06, 2.0.0 and 2.0.2.