43 line EGA mode

Larry Jones scjones at thor.UUCP
Wed Aug 1 05:09:01 AEST 1990

I've noticed that when I switch from normal 25 line mode to 43
line mode (SW_ENHC80x43) on an EGA display a couple of strange
things happen.  First, the cursor usually disappears, but not
always.  Sometimes I can make it reappear by switching to a
different virtual console and back again, and I can almost always
make it disappear again the same way.  Second, the pallette
changes: brown becomes dark yellow (which I actually like), grey
becomes very dark green, light blue is only very slightly lighter
than blue, light green seems OK, light cyan is a little greenish,
light red becomes brown, light magenta is only very slightly
lighter than magenta and a little greyish, yellow is chartreuse,
and light white has a sickly greenish/greyish cast.

Has anyone else seen these effects and, more important, anyone
have a fix?  I'm currently running ISC 2.2, but the same things
used to happen with 2.0.2.  I should also mention that I've tried
a couple of different EGA cards, so I don't think it's a hardware
problem.  I'd be interested to know if other implementations have
the same problems.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones at thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"This probably just goes to show something, but I sure don't know what."
-Calvin