ISC 386/ix 2.0.2 with TCP/IP & NFS crashes absolutely ALL THE TIME!

Thomas Hoberg tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de
Tue Aug 14 04:22:52 AEST 1990

Well, this wasn't really intended as a follow up, but I don't know how
to just post an article... :-{
The flames I just read about ISC's NFS implementation have me wounder
why I should use NFS at all. I am waiting for Hauppauge's 4860 board
(i486 + i860) to arrive any day now, that I want to hook up to the
386 Compaq we are using just now via Ethernet. All we need is some
kind of networking not necessarily NFS. Isn't there a thing called
RFS (AT&T's Remote File System) included with ISC? Shouldn't it
actually perform a lot faster than the state-less design of NFS?
Is anybody actually using it on an [34]86 box with 386/ix?
What are the trade-offs? Can I run it together with TCP/IP or is
it actually based on it. Can I do rlogins, telnet and FTP?

Any suggestions welcome!